Jason joined The Raven in June 2013 from The Saracens at Hadnall, Shrewsbury. His psyche is thoroughly embedded in all things culinary and his enthusiasm, talent and passion for cooking is inspirational. Jason loves nothing more than the unexpected arrival in the kitchen of some seasonal, often foraged local produce– perry pears, ramsons, rainbow chard, berries – all gleefully received and incorporated into wonderful dishes.
SEASONAL INSPIRATION - The Humble Carrot Transformed into a show–stopper!
Perfect to wow friends and family and impress at any dinner party, this carrot cake souffle recipe is both cost effective and a perfect end to any meal. It pairs perfectly with a light and clean carrot sorbet, a seasonal dessert that is hard to beat. This recipe will make 4 – 6 individual soufflés dependent on the size of ramekin used.
Ingredients for Crème Patissiere (the mixture to make the carrot cake soufflé)
½ pint milk
3 egg yolks
62.5g caster sugar
32.5g corn flour
50g grated fresh carrot
Grating of nutmeg to taste
Small pinch ground allspice
Method for the Carrot Cake Souffle
- Combine the milk and cream in a pan and bring to the boil.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and corn flour.
- Once the milk and cream are boiling add to the egg mixture stirring constantly and then return to the pan and cook until thick custard. (Allow to cool)
- Using a food processor blend the carrots, sultanas and spices until smooth, once this is achieved pass the mixture through a sieve.
- Combine the cooled custard (crème patissiere) and the carrot mixture in the food processor and blitz until both items are fully incorporated and smooth.
- Grease a ramekin or other suitable receptacle with butter then dust with caster sugar. Place in freezer until set and then repeat.
- Separate the eggs into whites and yolks in two clean bowls whisking the whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the carrot crème patissiere to the egg yolks and beat.
- Fold half of the egg whites through the crème patissiere mixture, gently incorporating them and then add the second half in the same manner.
- Fill each ramekin to the brim levelling the top with a palette knife or similar, clean any excess mixture from the rim.
- Bake at 180°C for 9 minutes.
Ingredients for the Carrot Sorbet
62.5g orange juice
¾ leaf of gelatine
The juice of 1 lemon
Method for Carrot Sorbet
- Combine all the ingredients except the gelatine and lemon juice.
- Put gelatine leaf to soak in water.
- Mix lemon juice and gelatine into carrot mixture and then churn in an ice cream maker or put into the freezer removing frequently to continually break up mixture as it is freezing to create the particles of the sorbet.
Click here for a downloadable copy of this menu.